On Wednesday, 07/06/2011 at 04:25 EDT, Colin Allinson
<cgallin...@amadeus.com> wrote:
> This is very basic and simple but I can't seem to see the answer
anywhere
> (although it is probably staring me in face).
>
> Once TCPIP has decided that it has tried to restart a server (FTPSERVE)
the
> maximum number of time and abandons further attempts - how can I reset
this
> once the problem has been resolved?

>From Usage Note #1 for MaxRestart:
 If a user is restarted MAXRESTART times, the TCP/IP server will send a
 message to the INFORM list and stop restarting the user. After that, you
can tell
 the TCP/IP server to attempt to restart the user another MAXRESTART times
by
 dynamically specifying the user's PORT statement without the NOAUTOLOG
 operand.

So you can use OBEYFILE or NETSTAT OBEY.

> We rely very heavily on incoming FTP but we have found that FTPSERVE
does not
> like receiving files onto a corrupt disk and sulks heavily (Sorting the
cause
> of the corruption is a separate problem and not as simple as it first
appears).
> Is there any easy way (or a tool) to monitor that FTPSERVE is currently
> functional so that remedial action can be taken automatically (in the
middle of
> the night) if it is not?

You could watch FTPSERVE's console for unexpected ending conditions.   You
may also wish to use FTP 127.0.0.1 (loopback) with the program stack and
the EXIT parameter to see if FTP is up.  Or just establish a TCP
connection to port 21, look for the welcome banner, then issue QUIT.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556