From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: August 2, 2011 13:10
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Modifying the System Clock on a Running VM System

On Tuesday, 08/02/2011 at 10:08 EDT, peter.w...@ttc.ca wrote:
> Yes, it can and has been done. As you say, it works well for forward
> adjustments; CP abends on backward adjustments. For our old Multiprise

2000,
> which ran slow, it was fine. Our z9 runs fast, so we no longer use it.

I don't deny that you have had success with it, but hopefully folks
recognize that adjusting the time in this fashion is kind of like
bending
space-time.  If it were that simple, trust me, it would have been done
already.

- There are timers active throughout CP that must be revisited when the
clock is set.  But what to do?  Was the timer meant to represent a delay

interval or a specific time of day (e.g. midnight)?
- Some of those timers represent *guest* timers.  CP has no idea what
kind
of time that represents (interval or absolute), so....
- Virtual machine epochs must be updated in order to avoid time jumps.
(CP
doesn't virtualize STP/ETR timing signals.)
- CP time services (DIAGs) will "jump", putting them out of sync with
VTOD.  Sir Rob's reference to CMS' use of both time sources now comes
into
play.
- Timers that were scheduled to pop within the compressed time interval
will now pop all at once.
- Missing interrupt timers may be triggered.

On current machines, normal oscillator-induced drift and small external
time reference changes are automatically corrected by the TOD Clock
Steering Facility (see Principles of Operations for gory details).
Large
changes in time (for small values of "large") are handled through time
sync checks in which the host is notified of a problematic difference in

time.  That is, one that cannot be steered in a reasonable amount of
time.
 It is then the host's responsibility to evaluate what it needs to do
and
do it, including issuing the necessary PTFF or SCK instructions.

So, no surprise, IBM recommends AGAINST any use of such a mod on your VM

system.  (Of course, don't let that stifle your curiosity and
experimentation to determine the possible effects of malleable
space-time
on virtual machines!)

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556
alan_altm...@us.ibm.com

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
review retransmission dissemination or other use of or taking any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient or delegate is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in error
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  The
integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.
The sender accepts no liability for the content of this e-mail or for the
consequences of any actions taken on the basis of information provided.  The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses.  The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.  This disclaimer is property of the TTC and must
not be altered or circumvented in any manner.