Phil,
Thanks.  You are right.  I was trying too hard. Checking queued() was exactly
what I needed.

And yes, I am trying to get my VM and MVS environments to behave somewhat
alike.  Like you said "fingers get trained". And, after 30+ years my fingers are
very well trained! The problem is that over the years I have spent time in both
camps so I have issues either way I go. My co-workers laugh because
my MVS world has always understood "QQ" & "FILE". (And I always have
'autosave' turned off.)

Right now I'm starting to do more in the VM world and I find that by using
PF7/PF8 all I succeed in doing losing my place in my document.

Going the other way, I keep wanting to use "X" in ISPF 3.4 ... and my dataset
just disappears!

So, SCROLL is destined to be assigned to all the pf keys I expect to scroll
the screen and make it behave more like ISPF.

And I would be happy to collaborate on making this happen.

(And I know you suggested that I contact you off-list, but I'm betting we are
not the only ones that would like these capabilities.  And, we are probably
're-inventing the wheel' in many cases.  Perhaps, we will get some others
offering tools that they have already created.)

Bob