What do you mean?  Entering non-displayables from a 3270?
If that's the case, maybe CMS' SET INPUT command can help
Example SET INPUT % 10
then each % sign in what you type is translated to x'10'.  XEDIT honors that
too, but other fullscreen applications will ignore it.
There is also a SET OUTPUT command.
HELP CMSSET will teach you it all (I guess).

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support