--- Kim Morton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Courtesy of the USIHC, what do you think about this
> definition?

http://www.icelandics.org/checklist.html#naturaltolter

This part is pretty good:

"Tolt

This is the four-beat, lateral gait of the Icelandic
Horse, which is very comfortable to ride. It is
sometimes compared to the rack of the American
Saddlebred, but there is a lot of variation in this
gait, from horses which move somewhat like a Paso Fino
to ones which tolt similar to the running walk of the
Tennessee Walking Horse. The tolt is a natural gait,
meaning that the horse is born with the ability to
perform the gait (although it is best brought out by
good training and riding), and it doesn't require the
use of manipulative training devices, extreme shoeing,
etc. A four-gaited horse will possess the tolt, in
addition to the walk, trot and canter.

An incorrect tolt is closer to two-beat than four-beat
is the "Pig's Pace" (similar to the lateral gait
sometimes seen in gaited breeds which rely on shoeing
and training). A tolt/canter combination, sometimes
seen in young, untrained horses, or in horses which
mix their gaits, is the "Valhopp." Neither of these
gaits are desirable, and they can be uncomfortable for
the rider"

It's just interesting. I haven't read their
definitions in a long time. I remember reading this a
long time ago, it was similar, but I don't think it
used to include many soft gaits in tolt. I remember
thinking it didn't actually offer much guidance for
me, not knowing about gaits and trying to figure this
out.

Kim