--- Karen Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> work on
> horses feet, and a lot of them.......of course Sally is also a
> Doctor as
> well, she had a primary care practice in Seattle...so she takes her
> research
> to a whole new level when she is learning something.
>
> You know, I don't have a problem believing that a strong knowledge
> of
> anatomy is a good start for becoming a farrier...

Does your farrier walk out the horses before during and after?

If so what are they watching?  Just the hoof?  I doubt it.

We have shoers out here who don't even understand the anatomy of the
hoof....I am sure where you live Karen it is much different, we are
dealing with a tiny island in the middle of the pacific, where new
knowlege is looked at with what is called stink eye.

I had an so called educaqted farrier, from Oklahoma who did not
understand the sole of the foot, took his hoof knife into the sole so
far my Icelandic was dead lame for 8 weeks....

Yes I want whoever works on my horses to have a basic understanding
of the anatomy

but what surprises
> me is
> how many of the so-called "barefoot" followers are so insultingly
> disrespectful to our equine veterinarians.  That has always seemed
> odd to
> me.  Equine vets not only know anatomy, but they also specifically
> know
> equine anatomy, and a good many are life-long horse owners.  That's
> just an
> ironic observation.

Interesting because it is in reverse here.  Sally has saved the life
of 4 horses that the vets said were incurable and should be put down.

I can not speak for anyone over there on the mainland, but things
here a little different.....

> is really
> about Forge work, almost all the tests are about forge work, making
> eggbar
> shoes....etc etc....
>
> You need to re-check that.  ...

We get all the Farrier literature, talk to farriers on the
mainland...you can not get your certificates unless you do the metal
forge work PERIOD.  And there is a lot of it.

Plus Sally generally disagrees with the stance of the AFA on issues
of Founder and Navicular...she kinda looks at them like a American
Medical Assn...very Western Medicne, and she likes to do more of a
natural approach

Of course I could say it is interesting you telling me about Farrier
Certification, when my partner works in the field.

What I am suggesting is that farrier schools should move out of the
Dark Ages of focusing on metal and mfg shoes....mabye more emphasis
on the horses, hooves, and balancing a foot....

Something I thought people on this Natural Horse list might
applaud...but instead see just the Negetive or create a fight.

Aloha!

Storme
Storme

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail