it.  Lee says it in her book.  There are other names for it tho... like KMSH
people calling it a daisy cutter and the mccurdy people
calling it a mccurdy lick..

I guess I missed the first question, but yes, it's not always called by the
name saddle rack, but the gait itself is pretty common and very
desirable...by most people.  I think it's the more accepted version of the
"slow gait" for Saddlebreds now, but I'm not so sure about that - they used
to accept either a foxtrot or a step pace or so I've heard.  It's also
called the Rocky Mountain Gait, and I THINK I've heard it called simply the
"mountain gait."  Lee Ziegler was pretty big on settling on a universal name
for the gaits, names that transcend breed.  It's simply too confusing for
people who simply want to understand gaits and t get local help with their
trail horses to have to figure out 15 names for the same gait.

Since we now have YouTube at our disposal, I've sorta/kinda been able to
freeze-frame a few show-ish appearing "tolts" that people have posted.  (Not
the most accurate thing to do, due to YouTube's compression, but it is
somewhat do-able...) I've noticed that even some of the tolts that I would
have believed to have a single-foot support phase actually are
two-foot-three-foot gaits, so they too are saddle-racks.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]