> When I first got involved with Icelandics I was told by numerous people,
> including Dr. Isenbugel who was the head vet at the Zurich Zoo and one of
> the first to have Icelandics in Switzerland, that Icelandics would pant when
> they were hot and so their respiration would be inverted.  At that time,
> inverted respiration was considered a big problem.
>
> I am pretty sure that John Parke has said not true but that is what we
> were told.  The belief was that Icelandic had narrower windpipes to warm the
> air going into their lungs.  Now I really don't know what is true because it
> is no colder in Iceland than in lots of places in the world.  Didn't we hear
> that about Fjords or something?
>
> I have experienced panting in Icelandics  but their recovery was fast but
> it was mostly in context of heat – especially if they were hairy.

Reason i am interested, the lady I bought nasi from told me that and I never
thought it was bad that he panted.  But now I have Tivar and I am riding an
icelandic and the first time I rode him I was alarmed by his panting and
immediately bought some heavy duty clippers so he won't be overheated.  But
last time I rode him he panted some and he is clipped and we did not ride
hard or for a long time, so now I think he is just outa condition or he is
just having to adjust to this climate.  I am in florida but in north fla
close to alabama and it gets really cold here but lately has been unusually
warm.  Now I notice he is shedding!!  No mistake!  So I think his body
thinks it is spring because he came here and since I know horses shed
according to light not temperature, conditions must be such that it
triggered him physically to think it is spring.  I wish someone could find
out for sure about the panting!  Thats why I was hoping the person who
posted would tell us where she read that so I could look it up.
Janice

>  --
> yipie tie yie yo

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] The video every Icelandic Horse owner should have:
http://IceHorses.net/video.html
[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo