--- Judy Ryder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > http://www.marisasano.ca/?p=161
>
> Did anyone view this link?  What was mentioned about
> the Icelandics?

I saw it, they said:

 "And the cute little Icelandic horses (they take
offense at being called ponies, though they are all
very small). The actorsÂ’ feet hang well below their
bellies."

I just wondered if it's the horses who take offense at
being called "ponies", or their owners? :)

This was referring to something shot in Icelandic, so
I guess it's the Icelanders who are offended by people
calling them "ponies". Yes, don't call them ponies,
but they do look an awful lot like ponies, yep it's
quite a dilemma, isn't it?

Does it seem like more men are involved with riding in
Iceland?, or maybe that traditionally men did the
riding? I'm not sure. I do believe I see more men
riding when I watch videos of high level competitions.
Here it is the same, more men actually go trail riding
and do showing than women, so the riding scene is a
little on the macho side. Crazy rides though the
forest, their wives are afraid to go with them! I
wonder if  they are afraid that if they find out they
are riding ponies, it might make them inexplicably
start putting little pink bows in the forelocks. I
will admit that there might be an image of "pony" that
is like that. I think I have expanded my own view of
"pony" and I think of it as something more primitive,
I think I really appreciate that about Icelandics, I
see something primitive and natural in them, and I
would like to see that retained. I think I see
something else being appreciated in the show world
though. It's not so easy to find the qualities I see
in my Icelandics in another breed, but I get a little
scared when I look around and the horses look to fine,
that is not what attracted me to this breed, so I
hope, at least that the "old type" (I hate to call it
that) will be retained also.

Kim