--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> huh.  the horse's perspective is always why we insisted on trials
when
> we sold horses from the lesson barn into new homes.  we don't know
if
> the new home will be a good fit or not, even if a person tries a
horse
> several times there are other factors (they may lack our turnout,
the
> horse may not get along with theirs or be lonely, whatever).

I don't plan on ever selling one of my horses, but I don't think
there is anyway I would let one out on trial. Moving is very
stressful for horsesm having to meet new friends, new environment. I
could see taking the horse back if it did not work out, but I see
that as different. I would think some of those factors, such as what
kind of facilities the person has could be figured out beforehand.
You don't know for sure if your horses will get along, but it seems
to me that if they have enough space, they are more likely to get
along than not. I probably wouldn't even sell a horse to a person I
hadn't known for years, I would be very, very picky. People can do
some pretty bad things to horses, even when they don't mean to. I
bought two of mine from a local breeder, who I worked with and they
were thrilled when I wanted those horses, even the breeder I got my
last Icelandic from knew something about me and I think she knows I
will take good care of this little guy, he's going to have a good
life with me, so even if someone is a breeder, doesn't mean they
can't be choosey about who their horses end up with.

Kim