On 2/4/07, Judy Ryder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK, I get it!  You are not asking for "disengagement of the hindquarters"
> only; you are asking for the Circle Game with a disengagement at the end.
> Right?

Yes, exactly!  Sorry for the confusion, I didn't explain myself well enough.

> In asking for the stop, you'll drop that energy down to the ground.  Slump
> your shoulders if you have to.  Look down, if you have to.  Let everything
> in your body melt.

Oh, OK--I wasn't doing this at first and the horses went faster.  When
I 'gave up' trying to get them to stop I just relaxed and stood there
and they slowed down to a stop on their own--so I guess, in the end,
I was doing the right thing without knowing it!!

> When the horse stops.  Let him stop, at first, without asking anything else,
> without asking for anything in regard to body position, where to stop, what
> to do after that, etc; just a stop.  Reward.

They did stop and both turned to me on their own so I walked to them
and gave them rubs.

> We'll do a little back-chaining next.... you've practiced the disengagement
> of the hindquarters separately, from a standstill, hopefully, so that you
> have it good?

I was doing that with the Porcupine and Driving game, right?