On 2/7/07, Virginia Tupper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Her, usually
>  laid back, Friesan started bucking and acting out and she was crying
>  saying she couldn't ride anymore, etc....not sure what caused all
>  this, but my instructor said that after 4 sessions of hypnosis
>  thereapy she worked through her fear issues.  I've seen her riding
>  since and you'd never know she went through this.

After I came off Millie in November I went home crying that I was
going to sell all my horses and take up cross stitching. I believe it
might have been a slight concussion since I got back on 2 days later.
;)

The older I get (and we all know I'm not old, yet, but would like to
be someday) the less chances I want to take. I'm not afraid of riding
or getting hurt, and everytime we get on a horse we take a risk. To me
a risk is a calculated percentage that something might happen. You
take risks everytime you get in your car, or on your horse. I don't
take *chances*. A chance is getting on a horse with behavior issues
that haven't been resolved on the ground, or handling a dangerous
horse on the ground without the proper preperation and safety
equipment. I will take risks, but not stupid chances.

That, however, doesn't mean I won't ride green horses or problem
horses, but I find that doing ground work, in hand work, ground
driving, long lining, etc... gets alot of the bugs worked out before I
put myself at risk on their backs. I think the value of groundwork is
believed as you age. ;) When I was 18 I thought *nothing* of getting
on any horse, even if it had just dumped it's rider on a trail ride
and riding it and 'making' it listen, but now I'd rather figure out
why it's *not* listening, fix that, and then work through it's issues.

Steph

--
"Brutality begins where skill ends."
"Correctly understood, work at the lunge line is indispensable for