just wait until they're four+ years old or so and buy exactly what I want
... well, not always, but I think for me, the chance of getting the horse I
dream of is much higher when I have all of horsedom to shop in and am not
limited to the foals of one mare.

That was my reasoning pre-Icelandic's too, and that's why neither of my
other mares ever had a baby - although I did breed Holly once, and she lost
the baby.  There is always some risk to the mare...and I can't forget that
especially as foaling time rolls around.  And while we can try our best to
breed the best mares to the best stallions (for the intended purposes),
there's always some element of chance in the breeding.  Usually, "the apple
doesn't fall too far from the tree", but not always.

>>> Of course, I don't have the fun of having babies or the opportunity to
start them as I would want them handled.

The babies ARE fun, and I love them, but there's a lot of responsibility to
go with the fun.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]