On 10/02/07, Karen Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 7.5, and gallop: 4.5. Walk is only given a 1.5, and slow tolt and canter are
> given 0.
>
> I don't know of a single pleasure rider who shares the priorities
> represented in that weighting.

But slow tolt (saddle rack) is the gait that's done naturally by most
naturally gaited horses.  If a horse is gaited....s/he is going to
saddle rack (three foot support).

It seems to me that the evaluation of the gait the horse does
naturally...would be a vital indicator of how 'well-gaited' that horse
is.

If I was to do it all over again....I think I'd want to study an
animal moving freely in the pasture.  I would take tons of pics and
videos and go home and study the range of gaits I'd seen.  If I
happened to see a clean trot in there too...I think that would hit the
jackpot for me.  I would want it all.  I want a horse with all the
range of gaits.

....if I was to buy a youngster.  I'd have it shown to me in halter
much like the video of me trotting beside Dagur the other day.  If you
see a youngster slip in and out of a form of soft gait, you know it
won't be hard to find under saddle.

As an owner of a gaited horse I am absolutely compelled to determine
all the soft gaits I can.  I want to identify them and recognize them
when I see them.  As I work through the pics and videos that are sent
I begin to see a common head set with the various gaits....the videos
are wonderful for determining the whole movement of the horse, but I
still have to stop them to study where the feet are at any given
moment.  My eyes aren't quick enough to catch that yet.  For some of
you, noticing gait has become an inherent thing.  I'm not quite there
yet.

Wanda