Gail Ivey is a natural horseman; the following is a message from her:

"Stop trying to get your horse to respect you. He already does, as much as
he knows how.

"If he's running over you, knocking you down, biting you, kicking you,
bucking you off or refusing to go, it's not respect he lacks, it's
understanding and clarity from you.

"It isn't about what you need him to do, it's about what he needs you to do
to help him understand.

"I don't want you to have any contempt for your horse based on a false
perception of his lack of respect. I want you to have compassion and
clarity. He doesn't need your punishment, he needs your help. If you're
stuck on the idea of reinforcing respect, you're going to miss it when he
asks you to help him understand.

"The greatest show of respect comes from removing your agenda from the
picture and listening to what your horse needs instead. He will do anything
you ask him to do, as long as you show him that his comfort and
self-preservation are your top priority.

"You can get a horse to do just about anything if you threaten his sense of
self-preservation and comfort, but the best you can hope to achieve that way
is a horse that must mentally shut down to survive.

"I see more of these horses than I do spoiled or abused ones. They are not
engaged and willing, they are resigned and obedient. Mostly. Until they're
not. Then, because their willingness has not been forged by a bond of
compassion and humility, they rebel. Then they are blamed, and accused of
being disrespectful.

"Truthfully, they simply took their shot at retrieving their
self-preservation.

"My goal is to turn horse owners into horsemen and horsewomen. It is my
desire that you learn what is truly important to a horse and be able to use
that knowledge to bring out the willingness of the horse to perform any task
you request. Most of my long time students can take any horse and improve
its performance and enhance its life by utilizing the skills I teach. These
skills aren't found in books and videos, much as most of us wish. They come
from the heart of a person, and from the heritage of the horse. The
challenge is simply to want to learn it enough. Many people will tell you,
'the horse is your best teacher.' My mission is to show you what that
means."

Judy
http://icehorses.net
http://clickryder.com