> Traditionally they are used to keep the horse focused on his job and
> not distracted or spooked by what is going on around him.  Personally,
> I don't like driving with blinders/blinkers/winkers and never have.
> When I drove at different events, a lot of the other drivers felt like
> I was just an accident waiting to happen because I didn't use
> blinders.  I felt much more secure  knowing I had a horse that was
> solid no matter what was going on around him and that I didn't have to
> shield him from outside stimuli.  Sometimes I think it was also just a
> tradition - competitive driving is a very traditionalist sport.  I
> know drivers that were marked down for wearing helmets instead of
> pretty hats.
> --
> Laree

Some horses don't go well in blinkers at all and need to see
everything around them.   However, the theory is that all horses
should be started in an open bridle and get used to everything around
them and all the noises associated with it.  We'll see how Gusti
progessses.  I may change my mind.

Wanda