>> http://www.tolthorse.com/video.cfm?SHID=90

relaxed or evenly four-beat.

Can you give us a time point where you think he's pacey?   It's hard to see
the details with the limited resolution on online-videos, but I didn't see
much wrong with the timing of the horse's gaits.  Of course, the snow
obscures his legs sometimes, so it's hard to be sure, and the footing could
be affecting the gaits he's doing in the video too. .

I agree that I don't think the horse looks very relaxed - how could he be
with his head held up like that?  But I did think his gaits looked fairly
evenly four-beat except when the rider asked him to trot.

You do understand that the legs pick up laterally in "tolt" right?  It's not
the pickup alone that distinguishes the gaits - it's the pick-up AND
set-down timing that defines them.

I even wondered it that horse might run walk if he were allowed the freedom
to use his head as he felt necessary, but that's just a feeling I had.
Before I'd judge that horse, I'd like to see him move with some freedom to
use his body, and on dry footing.

Karen
Karen Thomas