>>> we have one mare who does have some skin sensitivities, she was bred in
California...

Storme, Hawaii is so far from the mainland USA, physically, and
climate-wise, that if you think about it, your California-bred mare is
probably almost as much of an "import" to Hawaii as your Icelandic-born
horses.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if she is exposed to bugs, pollens
and other allergens there that she was not able to develop immunities for as
a foal on the mainland.  That Hawaii is considered part of the USA is
largely a political decision, not so much a geographical one.  I don't think
the immune system pays too much attention to political borders though.