On 3/11/07, Cherie Mascis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Orri may be different if he were aggressively trained to lunge with a whip.
> Does your present trainer lunge him?  He just may asume the carrot stick is a
> lunge whip and he needs to move.

His present trainer is me--before me it was the breeder who I
purchased Orri from.  And I would guess by Orri's actions he thinks
the CS is a lunge whip because that's the automatic mode he defaults
to;  Gat does too.  I've lunged neither of these horses.

> It is strange that he is ok sometimes but not others.

He was fine in the beginning--it's only been these last 3 or 4 times.

> Don't progress to any of the driving games until he is completely comfortable
> with the stick being rubbed all over him and then when you do start the
> driving games, make sure you rub him with the stick after each drive.

Before Orri started acting scared with the CS I had already done all
of the games.  He'll do them for me fine without the stick in my hand.

> When I worked with a fairly wild Icelandic import, I started with my hand
> about 3/4 of the way down the stick (less stick toward the horse) and kept
> the excess close to me.

I can try that.

>  He may also be more comfortable if you approach him with the stick close to
> your body and stay close to him as you work the stick with gentle motions up
> his legs or over his body (start with the area he's most comfortable with).
> This would be less like lunging, where the trainer would stand back and wave
> the stick.

I have been able to rub Orri with the stick, he's nervous though, and
doesn't like me flicking the string over his back.

> If he's still having trouble with the pressure, you could combine clicking
> with the pressure release.

I'm reading Clicker books right now and that may be the way to go with
my horses.