It was groundwork day again.  We have several mares who are either returning
to work after maternity leave, or being prepared to go under saddle.

Cary took Brunka and Saga for walks on the trail, each alone, to see if we
can find any holes before riding them out on the trail alone.  Both do fine
ridden out in a group, and did fine being led out alone.

Svertla, the mare who Janice helped us get last May (from the prior
starvation home) is officially out of quarantine from the rabies exposure
she got at that awful woman's home.  She's plenty old enough (almost 7) to
be ridden, but considering the shape she was in, then the winter weather, we
haven't asked much of her, only playing a little ground work with her here
and there.  Today she got a good bit of attention.

Cary wants to start doing more groundwork and basic training, but, let's
just say his finesse skills need a little polishing.  He spent a good bit of
time with Svertla, with me offering suggestions.  A few times he wanted to
pull her over obstacles she wasn't sure about, and I had to keep reminding
him that we were mainly interested in a positive experience, not raw
results.  Overall, he's doing a lot better though.

You can tell that Svertla grew up (her first two years) at Unicorn Valley.
She's a trail horse at heart already, not scared of any of the natural - and
not many man-made - obstacles she encountered.  She never missed a stride
stepping over logs on the trail, and one was probably 18" - she just walked
right over it. Too bad she was neglected for four years - she could be so
far along now.  I thank my lucky stars that she was only neglected though.
Abused or mistreated horses are MUCH harder to deal with from a training
viewpoint.

She slipped just a tad going over the ditch into the woods.  That unnerved
her just a little so she got a couple of do-overs until she was fully
comfortable.  It wasn't really dangerously slick, just typical of what you
might encounter on even an easy trail.  On the way back to the house, she
didn't miss a stride going over the ditch.  Been there, done that...

There was an old rusty silo on the farm and Cary pushed it to the edge of
the trail, for a "scary trail obstacle".  So far, we haven't found an
Icelandic who's very worried about it.  Svertla only had to look at it about
two seconds before she touched it.  He also hung an old gate out along the
trail so we can practice opening an unimportant gate from horseback.   You
may see that when I post the link to the pictures.

Svertla wasn't TOO sure about walking over the teeter-totter bridge in the
obstacle area...but as soon as Cary put a handful of grass on it, it was a
done deal.  The biggest worry in the obstacle course was the tacky white
flower whirly-gig.  She wasn't so sure about that, but eventually crossed
the blue tarp on the ground beside it - that took her a couple of minutes to
find the courage to do.

So many horses and so little time.  I'm uploading some pictures of Svertla,
and will post a link later.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]