this is in response to the posting about SE saying:
>  I use repellent on the horses; it needs to be something with piperonyl
botoxide in it; that's the stuff that makes the Flygone effective against
the no-see-ums, I think. I use Repel-Xp...
> And I use... Skins-so soft...

   Not to "beat a dead horse", but I am now getting around to reading posts
from the past weekend and want to clear up a couple of mis-issues about SE
treatments.
   (1)  The "magic" ingredient in FlyGone7000 that makes it effective against
culicoides is its citronella; its piperonyl butoxide evidently stabilizes the
citronella, making it last longer (over 12 hours, versus only a couple of hours
for pure citronella oil).  But without citronella, the piperonyl butoxide (and
pyrethrin) do virtually nothing to deter culicoides, and hence SE.
   (2)  Avon Skin-So-Soft has evidently used different formulations over the
years.  I have been told that some former ones included citronella, and maybe
those were effective against culicoides.  However,  the Skin-So-Soft I tested
not only didn't repel culicoides, it actually attracted them!
   I did a considerably study of SE treatments [< articles from Eidfaxi
available at http://www.maineicelandics.org/html/se.html >] when my first
imported Icey came down with a monster case of SE, already less than half way
through his first US summer.  [And that was despite rigorous spaying with
Repel-X, which I had thought would help protect him, but later found it does
nothing to diminish culicoides.]  Everything that has been written here about
decreasing SE by having environs that are inhospitable to culicoides (dry,
breezy, etc.) is 100% right.  But in the moist, generally non-breezy
mid-Atlantic, an effective bug-spray also seems key.
   For those who are interested, FlyGone7000's ingredients are "0.10%
pyrethrin, 1% piperonyl butoxide, 15% butoxypolypropyl glycol, citronella
scented".  [They don't say how much citronella.]  Repel-X has pyrethrin,
piperonyl butoxide, and a sticking agent, but no citronella -- and as noted in
that study, it does nothing against culicoides.  My SE guy stay SE-free, as
long as he is sprayed with FlyGone both AM and PM.  [And no, I get no subsidy
from FlyGone or Jeffers or ValleyVet.]
    Also, let me note that for horses who already have active SE (which causes
a maddening level of itching, so they scratch themselves until the affected
area is entirely bloody), the best thing I found to deter the itching and speed
healing is the Icelandic lotion formerly called SDS or SD lotion, and now
re-named SE lotion.
yours,  Barbara
Barbara Sollner-Webb
Professor of Biological Chemistry
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine