On 3/26/07 10:01 PM, "Annie Shields" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> of her skin because she recognized Ashelman's name as her college
> friend's husband.  We had to go visit them, of course.  I was 15 years
> old and horse-nutty and the day we visited the Icelandics my life
> changed. Oh, yes, on with the time-line. In 1966, Ashelman sold all
> his imported mares to a man named Vaness in Washington Island, WI.  He
> sold all their offspring (46) to me. Then, Peter Strong in Greenwich,
> CT shipped the the next load in 1970.  I spent one summer in Vermont

Hell Annie:

Thank you for writing this up. I vaguely knew some of this but not in this
detail.

Slight correction: The name of the people on Washington Island (Wisconsin)
is Veness (not Vaness). Laurie Veness, the man's daughter had a riding
operation for tourists for many years. I knew her when I first became
involved with Icelandics in the early 1980's. And for all I know she is
still doing this with her Icelandics.

She had some really old-style Icelandics. Very small and and with
proportionately very large heads. But she recently also acquired more
"current" stock, some bought from Peggy Dulaney (Washington).

Anneliese