> The Beery manual has what some might consider a drastic method to cure
> confirmed rearers I've used with good effect for some nut cases who liked to
> flip over, which will doubtless incur outrage from some. It takes steady
> nerves and some athleticism.

I ride with a man who has a horse trained to rear on command.  He says
he cured the horse of rearing by training it to rear on command, which
I bet takes some steady nerves and athleticism as well.  Are you
talking about icelandic nut cases?  nasi reared with me once because I
dont know what the heck I was thinking,  but he had entered into his
scampery post yearling intact stud brat era and had started nipping at
me when I would lead him and when i would scold him for that he would
wheel away and had broke away from me a couple of times.  So thinking
I would nip that in the bud I put a stud chain over his nose and when
he gave me a fit I gave him a snatch and oh my gosh you'd have thought
I'd stabbed him in the heart or something.  He reared straight up all
wild eyed.  I felt terrible about that and took the chain off and
scolded and crabbed at him while leading him all over the place for
about two hours.  he hasnt reared since.  Hasnt nipped once since
being gelded.  Fights the others for a chance at getting to go with me
somewhere on a lead, walks mannerly at my side...  I believe if I
snatched his feet out from under him for rearing he might quit rearing
but he would start viewing me as "here she comes, dungeon master" and
I have already learned, even when he was less than six months old, he
is a smart little guy and can be very calculating and ingenius in
tormenting me and even considers such torment a fun game if I will
engage him in it.  he enjoys drama i think.
Janice--
yipie tie yie yo