Vicka, possibly you have misread something, or misinterpreted
something?

This is the original post from the thread (with link included at the end):

"From "A Good Horse Hath No Color, The Search for the Perfect Horse"
by Nancy Marie Brown:

In America there are few half-wild herds of Icelandic foals with fire
under their feet. "We have predators," points out Elwell. Coyotes roam
the wooded edges of her Hudson Valley farm; California and Canada, home
to other breeding herds, have mountain lions; in Iceland, the only wild
carnivores are minks and foxes, much too small to tackle a healthy
foal.

But with that caveat, Elwell and some others still manage to
"keep the culture in" their horses by leaving them loose in well-fenced
ten-to-twenty-acre pastures and resisting the urge to play with the
adorable, cuddly foals.

Other American breeders are not so careful. "I saw one foal, two months old,
that was so boring it was unbelievable," Elwell told me. It was kept alone
with its mother in a small paddock beside the house, where it had frequent
visitors. "I said to the owners, 'This foal is going to grow up to be a
turnip.' " It had no spirit and, worse, no respect for humans. Elwell
offered to set it straight.

Approaching the "turnip foal," she told me, "I walked out quietly
into the field, and, when I was within five feet of the foal, I jumped
into the air and screamed. He jumped four feet in the air and took
off. I chased after him and, when he stopped, I jumped again. Within
two days he was starting to act like a horse again.

"Icelandics are so inherently bonding," Elwell warned. "One of these
foals will get up a few minutes after it's born and crawl into your
lap. And the mare will say, 'Go ahead, take it.' You need to make them
always alert to people, not quite sure what a person will do.""

______________________

A followup post:

"I think it's a great book. The author is a very nice person.

The book gives a pretty true picture of the horse culture in Iceland. In
it's naivete and innocence, it lends support and validation to many topics
of interest that come up on the list."

_____________________

>From another thread (about Stigandi tolting) which actually preceded the
"Scare the Foals" thread:

"Sometimes trainers use this "tension" to get the horse to gait. This is
probably why we see the tight nosebands. It makes the horse tense, almost
like drowning or being choked. The rush of adrenalin is used for gait.

It's probably why "don't touch the foals" came into being. If the horses
are too friendly and not "properly afraid" of people, they will be too lazy
to gait, or not *respect* the trainer enough to gait without the icelandic
saddle, or tight noseband, or heavy contact, or whips, etc."

_______________________

And from the cloning topic:

" We can tie this thread into the cloning thread: Dr.
Money and his "experiment" of raising one of identical
twin boys, as a girl."
_______________________

You recently said:

"if you took judy's insinuations for it, my pony would be afraid of people
and not tolt unless high on adrenaline.  (in fact when he's at his most
excited, as at the beach, he resists *trotting*.)  i don't think these are
matters of "perfect"; they're just observations.  (i love stjarni's trot.)

i am not impressed with judy's recent comments about john money, but
then again i knew him and worked in his lab, and she didn't."

"in which judy claims it's a "pretty true picture of the horse culture in
Iceland", despite the fact that the section she quoted at the beginning
of the thread was about horse-raising as practiced by an american."
______________________

It appears that maybe you took several big jumps to conclusions; or misread; or
misinterpreted the posts above.

My statement about Dr. Money was one statement which included no opinion either
way; no "comment".

No comment was made about your pony, just the fact that sometimes trainers use
tension to get gait.

The practice of keeping the foals "always alert to people, not quite sure what
a person will do" is something that that person learned from Icelanders and
wanted perpetuated here in the states as part of the horses' culture; part of
the book, written about Iceland.

Facts, ma'am; just the facts. :-)

Judy
http://icehorses.net