"SHERREL LEININGER" [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> the first saddle i got for my first icey needed a crupper... but when
>>> i changed to a wintec endurance, it no longer needed a crupper, and
>>> stays in place perfectly, even on steep hills.

> Did you get a wide tree?  I have looked at the wintec for Stigandi
> because I prefer a western type saddle...

Dear Sherrel,
   Wintec makes many different kinds of saddles; I have never looked at their
Western.  Their Endurance model ("Pro Endurance") is not a Western.  It is
kinda half way between a Dressage and an All Purpose (flaps are not so far
forward as to interfere with the shoulder motion in tolting), but lots nicer.
It has wider and longer pads to distribute your weight more evenly on the
horse's back, and it has lots of D-rings for attaching stuff useful in long
trail rides.  Really fine saddle!  [I have three that the Iceys share.]
  The Wintec tree (gullet) is exchangeable and you put in the width to fit your
horse.  Three of the Iceys here (including the quite fat one) fit best in the
saddles with the red (wide) gullet, and two fit best in the saddle with the
blue (medium wide) gullet; none of them need the white (extra-wide) gullet.
However, my previous horse -- a butterball who had absolutely no hint of
withers -- originally used my first Endurance saddle with a gullet that a
blacksmith had bent out MUCH wider, and that worked great too.  It certainly
was nice to be able to make the saddle wide enough for her, and then simply
change the gullet to have it fit the Iceys.
  Happy trails!
yours,  Barbara