--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Ryder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> http://iceryder.net/honouricelandic.html
> >

> > Poor fellow...too bad this is called fighting the bit as it
connotates
> > that it is the horse's fault and he is being uncooperative/
balky.  To
> > me, he is looking for a way to relieve his
discomfort/pain....and not
> > trying to get rid of the rider to do it!
>
> That's an interesting observation about the wording, Trish!  Yes,
I think
> you're onto something!
>
> I think these horses are SO willing to work with people that they
can be
> taken advantage of.

Yes, I think that is right too. It's really so sad.

> But fighting the bit is something that apparently is ignored /
accepted by
> the Iceland horse culture.  They have not learn yet how to deal
with it (or
> to train a horse to accept the bit, or to properly fit a bit),
other than
> strapping the mouth shut.

Well, what happens if the horse does have a bigger reaction? if
something is going wrong with the interaction, bucking? rearing? I
think we have heard what happens, so there isn't a great motivation
to learn to work through problems, so this isn't really surprising.

> Here's an iceland-promotion page:
>
> http://www.randburg.com/is/activity-group/index.asp

and there is a horse with its mouth gaping. I saw my share of head
flipping at the one demonstration this weekend, it seems to show up
a lot.

Kim