>>>From: The Lund family >
>This did me so much good to hear! I got my dream come true when we got
>2 previously unhandled mules 1-1/2 yrs ago, but it has been so
>disheartening and confusing when I would think I was making progress,
>and then find that I must have done something to offend<<<

I've had some harrowing mule experiences in my childhood in Haiti where an
(ungelded) mule tried to rape my mare-with me still riding her- and one
tried its best to corner and kill me when I tried to pet it while it was
standing tied, but when George and I rode the mules in the Grand Canyon, I
found that my mule, which had been ignoring all rein cues and doing as it
pleased, quickly responded to my routine pressure/release way of riding,
which, I understand, John Lyons also recommends; in about 15 minutes I
knotted the reins and threw them on his neck and he responded to weight
shifts only. Horses usually take a little bit longer, or have other issues,
such as spookiness.

Since this is my only mule experience, it could have been the mule's
previous training and/or personality, or the limited nature of the ride.
However, when we stopped for a rest and photo op, I could still maneuver the
mule  easily and ride where I pleased when others couldn't get their animals
to budge once the line halted. Again, I could have been lucky, plus, I
wasn't breaking it to ride.

I read an article by John Lyons where he said that pressure and release
worked particularly well for mules since intimidation methods, often used on
horses, don't work with mules. My llama has a similar, mule-like
personality-smart, self-serving, can't be intimidated, doesn't care a bit
what I want-but he does respond readily to pressure and release. Again, I've
never ridden or driven him either!

Rachel from E KY