>>> She also told me that the bit she uses is similar to an English snaffle
except it has long metal pieces on the sides--I'm guessing that those are
shanks?

It could be, or as Jeannette suggested it could simply be a full cheek
snaffle.  Those are popular with a lot of the NH-type western riders these
days.  Ask her what part is similar to an English snaffle - does it have a
broken mouthpiece?  Is she neck reining or direct reining?  (I know you may
not know these answers, but these are things for you to be checking into.)

>>> I'm curious--is her horse lighter and more responsive because of the
shanked bit?

The bit doesn't make the horse light - the rider, coupled with the horse's
prior training makes him/her light.   Even things like saddle fit and fear,
confusion can contribute to the feeling of lightness vs. heaviness.
Regardless of the bit, western riders rarely use a lot of contact.  (I'm
sure some do - there seems to be no limit to the combinations of things
people try...)

There really isn't a formal distinction between "English" and "western"
riding.   Instead, it tends to be a cumulation of differences, none of which
are defining alone.   There's no reason a horse can't be light when ridden
in an "English" saddle, with an "English" bit - or even if ridden bareback
with a halter.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]