I found this in a local (Today's Horse Trader) magazine and it really
touched me.  By a vet named Penny Lloyd.

~~~~~
 I felt the whisper of a nudge on my back.  Stepping down from my vet
truck, I collided with a horse standing behind me.  It was one of the
horses that I had just examined.  The rest of the herd was out
grazing, and he had made a special effort to come over to see me off.
This unusual gesture brought a tear to my eye, as I realized that he
had come to say "thank you" in his own special way.

When I first met him earlier that day, I took a moment to try to see
whom he really was--beyond the old rack of bones standing before me.
There he stood, a warm receptive presence, in a body weak from
neglect.  Even though he had just arrived, others at the rescue had
also noticed his huge heart.  There was something very special about
this horse.

After greeting him, I began my examination.  I listened to his heart
and lungs, and ran my hands over his knobby limbs.  We asked him to
trot, and he did his best on game, yet unsteady legs.  His backbone
stuck out and you could easily count his ribs.  His body condition
score bottomed the charts.  He was in desperate need of being able to
chew the groceries now available to him.  But I didn't know if he had
the teeth to do it.

I was caught in a dilemma.  Most horses hate having their teeth
checked and require tranquilizer.  But in his fragile condition it was
better not to sedate him.  So we could hope that he would be able to
eat well enough to gain weight.  And I took a deep breath steadying my
intent.  Even as I applied a full mouth speculum he remained calm and
cooperative.  Despite his physical condition, there was something very
strong about this horse.

If Kit Carson was the dream of every vet, the next horse was a
nightmare.  Tippie Canoe was rescued from the same situation.  As I
approached him, he snorted and ran to the back of his pen.  He tossed
his head defiantly in the air, revealing the whites of his eyes.  Even
in his frail condition, he was prepared to take on the world.  My
heart went out to him too. He was also a strong horse living inside  a
shell, weak from neglect.

Tippie Canoe did not trust us one little bit.  He stood with the
tension of a coiled spring, curling his rear end towards us, ready to
explode at any moment.  He was a bundle of fear and anger--an
emaciated 800 lb. time bomb waiting to go off.  He was oblivious to
any good intentions.  The dental exam could wait.  The people at the
rescue would continue to try to form a bond.