>Showing up is a majoy factor.  Why are shoers so
>flakey?  It is hard to find a good one.

Lorraine, flakey is a good term for most of the owners my husband complains
about when doing there horses that are ill mannered and for the most part,
dangerous to their owners. Do you think farriers enjoy having to recover
from 3 months of injury from a horse who hurt them and be without pay? I am
amazed at the tortures my husband endures from owners who will never work
with their horses, and he keeps going back because they are good people,
just not good owners. I worked with each of my horses before I had my
husband trim them, and I found that if I couldn't take my hoof pick and wrap
on there feet just like he does to shoe them, I wouldn't ask him to. I
bought my impatient horses some slip on shoes for there feet when I go on
rocky rough rides. Farriers are some of the nicest guys and gals you can
meet, and patience, unending. Spend a day with a farrier, trimming and
shoeing 6-10 horses a day and see what I mean. The best most owners give
there horses is picking out there hooves before a ride and you would be
amazed at how many I have seen that don't even do that. Only time there
hooves are touched is when the farrier comes. Pretty pathetic don't you
think. Jeannette