a horse for sale, 15.2 hh and it says that the horse is "sadly outgrown."
Perhaps ability wise, but...I think Americans are way too height-conscious.

Sometimes, but there are a lot of people out there who simply don't care.
As Judy pointed out the other day, many of the working stock type horses,
many ridden by average to tall men, are actually fairly short - 14-15H -
because the horses are actually most effective for their jobs when they are
that size.  Cary (6'2") was used to riding a tall TWH (15.3H and very
big-bodied, so he feels even bigger) but had no trouble at all getting used
to 13.3 1/2H Skjoni.  My first soul-mate horse was 16.2H Sundance, and I'm
5'0" - quite frankly he was too big for me.  I couldn't be as physically
effective on him as I could be on a smaller horse, but I loved him, and we
had a bond.  (I had two horses I alternated riding during that time: 14H
Holly, my TWH, and my 16.2H QH Sundance.  I didn't pick my horses for size,
but for how well we clicked.  I liked them both.)  Janice's husband, Donny,
is similar in height to Cary, and he seems to adore his 14.1H-ish McCurdy
horse.  I think the height-obsession is more common among certain show
circles more than within the pleasure riders I know.

On the other extreme: all things equal, I'd buy a shorter, smaller pony for
a small child's first mount.  Short legs simply can get anchored around a
smaller barreled animal.  But, all things are seldom equal, and if I found
the right horse with the right temperament to be a child's horse and that
horse happened to be 16H, I'd prefer to have a well-suited 16H horse than a
flighty or poorly trained 11.2H pony.  Tall isn't always better, but neither
is short always better!

Karen Thomas, NC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]