I have a politically incorrect method that makes my husband furious.
I use OFF.  It is the ONLY thing that works imo!!  I have tried all
products for fly spray but OFF actually keeps them repelled!  But my
husband is very environmentally correct and worrys about chemicals and
he says a horse is an animal that licks itself and you shouldnt put a
product on a horse that could have a slow toxicity but i'm sorry you
cant tell me fly spray is much better!  and also?  I have twice been
on rides where the group was swarmed by hornets and my horse had
hornets zinging all around but none lit and bit him or me and I think
it was the OFF!  jmo, works for me!
Janice
--
yipie tie yie yo