On 6/19/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>
> i should also point out a linguistic factoid i've mentioned here before:
> icelandic speakers call all the soft gaits "tolt".  not just the saddle
> rack.  in the video i sent, all of that soft gait was what icelanders in
> ordinary speech call "tolting"; lacking youtube and freeze-framing,
> their tradition uses the term more broadly than this list does.  i have
> never heard an icelander tell me "your horse isn't tolting, he's
> fox-trotting" or whatever.  that's the kind of terminology this list
> uses and (in my experience of about half a dozen different icelandic
> speakers) icelanders just don't.  they say "okay, can you feel his nice
> tolt?" and off we go.
>


This doesnt fly with me anymore.  When I first started being around
icey people I figured out really quickly that they called everything
tolt, and thats ok with me it really is...  but you can't have it both
ways.  You can't say "oh they call everything tolt" on one hand, and
then on the other say the breed has five distinct signature gaits.
And then have breeders who should know everything there is to know
about the horses they breed, not even recognize the gait their horses
do.  And then argue the leg off the lamb of god saying icelandics dont
ever foxtrot or runningwalk they only tolt.  I personally cant wait
for the day when everyone will finally admit all gaited horses can do
any and  all gaits, regardless of breed specifics.  I mean, the only
reason the RHBAA started in the first place is because people owned
walking horses that wouldnt walk, they would only rack so they couldnt
show them.

I personally own:

1.  a registered racking horse that does a gorgeous runningwalk
2.  A registered walking horse that racks only
3.  an icelandic that foxtrots
4.  a registered walking horse that does every gait there is except
speed rack/flying pace
5.  an icelandic that foxwalks

and i have had people on icelandic horse groups scoff, scorn, and
openly make fun of me for saying so.  because only "tolt" exists you
see.  problem is,  99% of icey owners, even the experts, especially
the experts, dont even know what a tolt is and thats sad!  it really
is.  You an say what you want about these evil corrupt terrible
redneck tennessee gaited horse show people but i will tell you one
dang thing they know a gait when they see it!  not only that they know
how to alter it in several ingenius evil effective ways.  most
icelandic people just go oh, that a trotty tolt or oh thats a skeith
tolt or oh thats a piggy pace.  they need to get it right, at least
before they start trying to alter it mechanically.  How embarassing is
that?!

 I was chatting with a man who has trained several WGC walking horses,
has taken many to WGC of his own, just standing there beside him at an
expo, I wanted to ask him a question.  People were riding by on their
gaited horses to exercise them before the breed demos.  I asked, what
gait when a horse went buy because i recognized it as a stepping pace
and it was a fancy rigged up big lick horse, i wanted to see what he
would say.  "thats a stepping pace, " he said, "needs more weight on
the front."  So I started asking about every horse that went by.
"hard pace,"  he would say.  "saddle rack, some call it a daisy
cutter, thats the right gait for that breed,"  it was a RMSH.  He knew
every single gait there was.  and the breeds that are known to  do
them.  and I'm sorry but I EXPECT that of the show people in every
breed.,  NO LESS.  I just do.  I expect it of breeders and people who
train and people who sell.  ignorance on those levels is simply
unconscionable.

 open your freakin eyeballs!!  Question authority, always question
authority, especially these litttle private breed queen and kingdoms.
if you want to play on a world class level with the big dogs you
should at least be as in tune with gait mechanics as  the average
ignorant redneck tennesean/alabamian.

I would NEVER
1. buy.
2. take lessons from.
3. take riding advice from

ANY icelandic "expert" who cannot tell one gait from another.

at the alabama state horse fair ma few years ago, there was an icey
demo.  The icelandics were cool but only two gaited cleanly and those
two would break it frequently, one even stopping in the middle of the
flying pace to crow hop a little cause the rider wanted him to stop
hard pacing.  Then they have the "Alabama State Horse", a racking
horse, come out, the Alabama State Speed Racking Champion of that
year, they dimmed the lights, put a huge spotlight on him and a man
rides out about 30 mph at a full blown speed rack, just lapping,
smooth as silk, clean and clear a gait as could be, no boots, no big
shoes,. carrying an american flag and sitting as effortless as if he
is at home in his chair watching tv and drinking a beer.  I think some
icelandic gait experts need to quit putting themselves above these low
class american rednecks.  and thinking themselves so far above them,
so continental and european., because 1.  they are just as abusive to
horses while knowing a lot less.  TONS less.
you gotta ways to go before you impress me, sorry.
Janice
-- 
yipie tie yie yo

Reply via email to