On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 11:09:16AM -0600, Robyn Schulze wrote:
>   stjarni
> > is the only horse i've seen in this area doing anything like soft
> > lateral gaits (at any of the barns i've ridden at, at shows, at the
> > beach, on the trails -- several hundred horses).
>
> I must say, I find this completely bizarre. What's with you New
> Englanders?  Who wants to be pounded in the butt everytime they want
> an intermediate gait? I'm glad you got smart Vicka.

*laughs* as a total convert, i gotta say i'm finding it a bit bizarre
myself.  i ride stjarni almost exclusively, but i recently got on a
few different three-gaited horses that my students were considering
leasing (both qh-type paints) and found myself going, "but where's the
tolt?  and why isn't there any mane?  and why am i so far off the
ground?" :)  and i haven't even had stjarni a year yet!  (though my
previous usual mounts were a 12.3 pinto and a 14.2 appaloosa, so i
was already unused to being very far up :)

(i confess i did like the quarab one of my students had already chosen
for himself, with one of those long-suspended trots....but i wouldn't
swap stjarni with him for longer than a few miles on a trail ;)

incidentally i owe roo grubis for this conversion -- she gave me one
lesson three years ago on the arabian i was leasing at the time (i had
just returned to riding), and at the end she said "you know, a lot of
peope come into icelandics from arabians; all the brains without the
teleport gene."  a few weeks later she and her icey moved to vermont,
and i didn't lay eyes on her again or meet her horse at all until the
recent clinic.  strange world.

oh -- and speaking of vermont, i should mention the vermont icelandic
horse farm, where i did ride a mare named litfrida twice in a weekend,
and which is (obviously) also in new england.  i've just been there once
(it's not close as new englanders count close :) but i'm sure they have
introduced many people to the breed; as far as i can tell it just has
not become very widespread.

--vicka