offers some form of pace, doesn't that mean she prefers to do it or is
conformed to do it?  Is pace to be avoided no matter what?

I think that's the $64,000 question.  Personally, I think some horses are so
wired and/or conformed for pace that trying to force them to trot is as bad
as trying to force a three-gaited horse to pace.  That's the delicate
question that is SOOO hard - at what point are we "forcing" as opposed to
"encouraging"?   I don't think many of us would like the idea of forcing a
horse to gait - but defining force is very subjective, and I imagine each of
us has a slightly different definition of where that point is.

I don't get the feeling that you have forced Gat to do any gaits that she
can't do...and that encouraging her to trot a little - or at least foxtrot a
little - is only encouraging her to use some muscles she doesn't use often.
I don't know though - I can't see you or Alex or her in person, so you have
to think about that yourself.  What I can see from the videos is that she
and Alex look relaxed and happy together, and that's certainly a good sign.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]