> when he is relaxed, but when stressed or excited he tends to do a step
> pace,
> looser than this horse b/c I'm not in his mouth at those times.

My TWH will go into a very uncomfortable pace (I think) when excited...not
tense as in fearful or stressed but excited because for example other horses
are running fast ahead and she doesn't want to stay behind. It's the
funniest thing. But, all I have to do is lean back a little bit and put a
little more pressure on the bit and she will go back into a nice comfortable
gait (rack or fox trot or whatever it is that is smooth as silk) or lean
forward a bit and squeeze my legs and give her rein and she will go into a
nice rocking horse canter. Without a signal though... she'll do that pace
and just stay in that going faster and faster until I feel like I'm riding a
jackhammer. :) I can't imagine why she does that because it seems like it'd
be uncomfortable for her too but she does it.