On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 04:37:00AM -0500, Janice McDonald wrote:

> If you by your own admission own the only gaited horse you, and
> everyone else you know has ever seen, then why do you persist on
> trying to explain gait to people who on any given day could organize a
> gaited horse ride with upward of 200 riders on horses gaiting, gaiting
> well, various easy gaits, even the most neanderthal uneducated
> ignorant redneck knowing exactly what gait their horses and your horse
> and everyone else's is doing...

i have NEVER ONCE EVER tried to explain gait to a single soul on this
list, so don't you go putting words in my mouth.  i have tried to
explain the icelandic word "tolt".  that is all.  and as far as my
saying i have the only gaited horse my informants have seen, that may
have been my fault for being unclear -- none of the ENGLISH speakers i
know are familiar with gaited horses.  all of the ICELANDIC speakers (i
include here people who are fluent in both languages) ARE familiar with
gaited horses.  (i presume gudmar petursson, who lives in kentucky, has
even seen some gaited horses of non-icelandic breeding.)

--vicka