very fine people, but you're not here to tell me your terms for his
gaits, and neither is anybody else who has the least clue what they are
doing.  so it's me and the icelandic speakers here in my little world,
and that's where i have to live and communicate.

 As someone who worked on gaits virtually alone for years, I take issue with
your use of the phrase "have to."  I don't buy that anyone HAS to use any
particular trainer these days, not that anyone ever did, but especially not
with all the convenient multi-media resources we have today.  We are so
spoiled these days...if I'd stood in line last night, I could new and valid
gait info this morning on an iPhone - a PHONE! I don't know what Icelander
trainers you are using locally.  Maybe they are fine - maybe they are
wonderful even.  If you have a really good trainer, who coincidentally
happens to be Icelandic, that's great.  But, no one HAS to use any genre or
nationality of trainer, nor any particular trainers, no matter what breed of
horse they have, or what discipline you are pursuing.  No one HAS to use a
dressage instructor who uses practices that they are comfortable with, nor
use Big Lick trainers - we can be as picky as we choose to be, and we can
choose the trainers that we DO find helpful - by taking lessons, clinics,
via their websites, via their books, ...  In fact, 20 years ago, I didn't
HAVE to use any of the local "gaited horse trainers" that I was suspicious
of - and I didn't.  And gosh, 20 years ago, there weren't the wealth of
books and videos that we have at our disposal now, there was no Internet, so
certainly no yahoo groups.  No digital cameras - heck, camcorders weren't
even that common then - we didn't get one until we'd had horses a couple of
years.    And yet, even in my primitive pre-internet, pre-camcorder,
pre-RFD-TV state, paranoid of inadvertently following a Big Lick trainer, I
managed to learn something about gaits.  And I often think how terribly much
easier and faster it would be today.  Oh, the possibilities we are fortunate
to have now!

There are multiple yahoo lists about gaited horses, including the two big
ones that Judy owns - and there is TONS of info in the archives of those
lists.  Brenda Imus' book, "Gaits of Gold", isn't my favorite by a long shot
(but I really can't stand her sales pitches) but it's been out, what? Maybe
10-12 years?  I've never seen Larry Whitesell in person, but I have his
videos - they certainly look like they have some good, solid info on them.
David Lichman has a set of tapes, not so terribly in-depth for the pure
study of gaits, but with some clues for integrating Natural Horsemanship
into gaited horse breeds.  And then there is the "bible" of gaits, the pure
study of GAITS, Lee Ziegler's Easy-Gaited Horses, plus several wonderful
videos from Liz Graves.  There's a guy in Colorado that I can't think of his
name right now, but he has some good articles on his website - and I'm sure
there are other more local/regional trainers that are good, as well as some
who aren't so good.  Gaited horses may not be as common in all parts of the
country as they are in my neck of the woods, but I know that they are all
over the country now.  Funny though, that some people still feel that
Icelandic's gaits somehow aren't like those of other gaited horses... but
GAITS ARE GAITS.  There are plenty of resources for solid gait information
today - available for people like us like to read it all, digest what feels
right and throw away what doesn't make sense for us.