only breed of gaited horses is icelandics) all the soft gaits really are
called tölt, but that doesn't mean they are all considered good tölt. The
only acceptable tölt is clear four-beat, any variations to pacy or trotty
side are considered faulty.

Hi Skise - I don't remember you posting to the list before, so welcome!

Yes, what you just described is what we hear within the traditional
Icelandic community here too.  And that's why we keep going on this debate.
I DO agree that an easy four-beat gait SHOULD be the breeding goal.  There's
nothing at all wrong with that, as far as I can see.  What I take issue with
is with the people who try to force the horses who are inherently very pacey
or very trotty - and we see plenty of them - into gaits that aren't easy for
them.  I don't think that should be "faulty" so much as accepted and dealt
with as necessary for each individual horse.  I DO think those gaits are
"faulty" in breeding horses.  But, if you've been reading the list for a
while, you may have picked that up.  :)

And, btw, you do realize that the running walk is also an even, four-beat
gait...?  If you've only been around traditionally trained Icelandic's you
may not be aware of that gait.  It's a lovely gait, very smooth to ride and
very easy for some horses to do - even for many Icelandic's.  It's a
wonderful gait for the trail.

>>> Haven't really thought is before but I think many horses are doing
"saddle rack" when moving slower and "rack" when moving faster?

It COULD be, and probably is true a good bit of the time, but the beat could
be a perfectly even four-beat and be a "flat walk" which is sort of a slow
running walk, or a running walk.   And, a horse can be forced into a
single-foot support phase "slow tolt" that isn't literally a saddle rack.
Why do we care?  Some folks don't, but a running walk is a gait that allows
the horse to stretch out and relax his back nicely.  It's easy for some
horses, not so easy for other Icelandics.  In the USA, a horse would NEVER
be allowed to develop with the traditional training methods because the
horse simply isn't allowed to use his head freely.  I think that's a waste.

Again, welcome!  What do you do with your Icelandics?  Do you show, trail
ride or do something else?  I'd love to hear more?  And we LOVE
pictures...:)

Karen Thomas, NC, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]