yes, my jaspar seats his bit.  I had read True Horsemanship and when I
got to the part about keeping the bit loose i thought oh yeah like
that'll work, maybe with him but not me...  then I had to put another
horse's bridle on Jaspar one day and leave on a ride in a hurry, It
hung down so low the bit almost fell out of his mouth and I thought
dang, and went and saddled him, turned back to adjust the bridle and
he had picked up his bit.  So now I leave it that way for him.

Another thing I learned at the time that amazed me, from the same
book, he said "dont get in a hurry" when bridling, that the horse
perceives it as rude and it can start off your whole ride on a bad
footing.  He said when you get the bit to his teeth dont just clank it
against his teeth til he opens his mouth, or force his mouth open, and
when you get the bit "shoved in" dont "jam the ears under the leather"
at the top.

and again i thought yeah right.  I was having to bridle jaspar by
standing on a mounting block while he was tied brutally short to a
cross tie.  He would brace every ounce of his being and hold his head
and turn it this way and that, as much as he could move while I
wrestled the bridle and bit on him---  just telling this makes me
smile, its amazing, i can hardly even remember my Jaspar like this it
was so long ago!

But anyway, in the book True Horsemanship Through feel Dorrance says
"ASK him politely if he will take the bit, offer it and ask him with
respect"  and i thought oh man, this guy does not even know a horse
like my horse...

So I go out, I crank him in tied short to the cross tie, I drag up my
stool and climb up and there he is braced as tight and stubborn as
always and I just took the bit and offered it to him, just rested it
against his tight stubborn lips and in a soft soothing voice I said
"Jaspar, will you take this bit"  and if anyone had been around I
would have laughed it was so ludicrous a thought, but when his lips
plopped open and he parted his teeth for the bit I liked to fell off
the dang stool!!  from that moment on, bridling my horses has always
been a very loving, almost sacredly gentle and loving act.  And they
all lower their head for me, each and every one.
Janice--
yipie tie yie yo