tobe stiff. He certainly can be, when he hard paces, but he's very willing
to soften when I ask, and can still be pretty pacey.  He has a very
comfortable stepping pace and is offering what I think is saddle rack, more
and more.  ... I've had him since he was 3 (now 15) and I've never seen him
trot in the field, though I do believe he's done some trotting under saddle
on some trail rides.  I haven't had much luck getting him to trot in the
ring, though I haven't really worked at it a lot.  He does have a nice 3
beat canter, so I think trot is in there somewhere.

I suspect there are a good many gaited horses of all breeds who fall into
that description - and I see nothing at all wrong with that for
pleasure/trail horses.    I'd say just enjoy them, but watch out for their
future soundness!

>>> What do you all do with your hard wired pacey guys?

I think I really only have one horse that I would consider very pacey - and
that would be Mac, the 24 year-old-TWH.  He serves as my example of what not
to do, though, rather than what to do.  Amazingly, despite his Big Lick
start, and his tendency to pace, he's still sound in the pasture, but
because of his swayback, he's not ridden much.  I'd love to have a chance to
let him live his life over, knowing what I know now...

I initially thought Sina was going to be pacey...but that turned out to
mostly be MY stiffness from the broken back I was recovering from, plus a
series of saddle fit issues.  That's one reason I warn others about
stiffness and paceyness.  I was all ready to blame her, but very little of
it was actually her "fault."  I was a lot of her problem.

As for the others that have some pace, maybe geared slightly to the lateral
side - I basically do what I do with the non-gaited horses.  I do flexing
and bending exercises, various kinds of groundwork, bodywork as needed -
basically a blend of several NH trainers I've liked over the years.  (I
started working with a not-so-well known local NH trainer, so his work
probably influenced me the most.)   I also try to make sure I don't push
them into any tension under saddle...and speaking of saddles, I have made a
virtual career out of finding good saddle options!  I guess you'd say I do
the same things as for any horse, just maybe altering the quantities of what
I do.  For instance, I'd probably do more work over poles with the pacier
ones - and  if they can't trot so easily, but have a good canter, that's a
good option I think...and lots of walking is also good I think.

I sent Nancy an answer about Loftur earlier, but I don't see that yahoo has
sent it through.  Here's some specifics I did for him, that would probably
be good for any horse, but especially the pacey ones I think.
http://www.windgait.com/LofturGroundwork.htm

Karen Thomas, NC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]