Hi Judy
>>>A Tom Thumb, especially one like the icelandic bit with such long shanks,

should only be ridden on a rein with looser contact, correct?

I wouldn't really call the Icelandic bit a Tom Thumb because the shanks are
too long.  I don't like any shanked bit with only one rein because you have
so little possibility to balance the horse. I would agree that it should be
ridden on a loose rein.  In order to balance the bit you do have to
sometimes pick up the contact but it should immediately be released.

A Tom Thumb Pelham is a very different bit - especially when ridden with two
sets of reins and it gives the rider more choices.

As you mentioned Judy there are nice photos on from the B.C. and show a
variety of riders using less equipment.

Robyn

Icelandic Horse Farm
Robyn Hood & Phil Pretty