--- Karen Swingley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So many varibles...
>
> ~>>Cause------feed, road founder, cushings, stress  etc<<
>
>    I believe the cause was lush green spring grass plus I think she
> was hogging the other horse's grain(when i wasn't looking)

Grain with an overweight horse?   Is this horse an Icelandic?  If so
we Never give our Icelandics typical grain.

They get a cup of black oil sunflower seeds daily.  If they are fit
we will give them a small treat of whole oats..small, a handful.

> >>~horses weight<<
>
>  She initially was overweight but after she foundered 8 wks ago,
> she was confined to stall duty and shed quite a few pounds.

Typically we would not put a horse in a stall during a founder,
movement is better for their health....

> >>~hoof care<<
>
>   trimmed every 8 wks

Do you have a farrier that specializes in founder, what are they
doing or suggesting?  Are they working with your vet?

> >>~Are you wanting to do supplements?<<
>
> if it would help her...you bet! Would HorseShoers Secret
> Supplements help?

Not the right type of supplement for founder case

> >>~What was done at the onset?<<
>
>  Stall duty, vet check, ocean foot soaking, & bute
> .
> >>~How young was the horse when it began getting shod?<<
>
> I shod her for about 1 y or so when I got her at age 10....she is
> now 15
>
> >>~Are you wanting to use barefoot methods, or use shoes?<<
>
>  prefer not to use shoes BUT if she needs them now...
>
>    >>  There are many different shoeing methods out there that
> really
> can help a foundered horse, and none of them that I am thinking
> envolve using metal shoes that nail on.  MANY that work.<<
>
>  can you give me examples?

Boots with styrofoam, probably beyond that by now....

Boots with turnout

Cuff shoe package from Gene Ovnick---srews in on the sides

Clog package---can be screwed in from the top

Polysteel Natural balance shoe--can be screwed in from the top

Go to:

hopeforsoundness.com

safergrass.org

fortheloveofthehorse.com

Gene Ovnick is a master farrier who believes in barefoot and studied
wild horses.  He also knows that sometimes a horse needs help, needs
to be comfortable so he developed a whole amazing system to help with
founder and the comfort of the horse.

Go to those websites for a start, it can be a little
overwhelming....just listen to your horse, they can tell you when
they are comfortable.

Skye

      ~~~~Fire Island Farms~~~~
Breeding Quality Icelandic Trail Horses

             Certified Farrier Services
          'Natural Balance' Shoeing and Trimming.
         Founder, Navicular options for your horse.

                          808-640-6080