On 7/10/07, Nancy  Sturm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a friend who breeds gaited horses who has a rule  for herself of
> walking the first 100 miles.
>
> Nancy

AHHA you somehow accidentally stumbled into one of my personal pet
peeves traps :)  I can never let this one pass without
clarification...

I would read this when trying to cure jaspars pace and Lee and Liz and
everyone would say the key to gait is walk walk walk.  And at the time
all i did was walk jaspar everywhere every single day.  I put
literally hundreds of miles on him at the walk, teh normal walk, some
call a dog walk.  That does absolutely nothing whatsoever for a gaited
horse's gait.  NOTHING.  what helps a gaited horse;s gait is miles and
miles at the FLATWALK.  which is a step up from a walk.  Builds
muscles, fitness, wiring for gait.  Been there done that...

with my fox, one of the most awesome naturally gaited horses on the
planet, since he is so green and I ride him so little so he is never
in shape, I alternate between dogwalk and flatwalk, let him flatwalk
til he starts losing it, the timing, the rhythm and smoothness, and
let him choose when to come out of it, let him rest by dogwalking then
let him move back into the flatwalk and once in it I try and keep him
going as long as he can do it.  thats the key.  the flatwalk.
Janice--
yipie tie yie yo