I was talking to someone recently who has a somewhat roach-backed horse,
gaited, but she trots him too.  She mentioned that when he rounds his back to
trot, it actually gives her a weird feeling, pushing her up and forward in an
odd way.  (It's also a saddle fit concern.)  So, yes, I gather that
roach-backed horses can indeed raise and even "hollow" their backs - it may not
be noticeable by looking at their backs alone though.

What about the other extreme - horses with some natural "lordosis" - the
conformational type of swayback, that is inborn, not a result of bad riding?
Couldn't they even manage to achieve some degree of "roundness" by tightening
their abs and driving their legs under themselves...?  I've never thought about
that one before.  I have a friend who owns such a horse. I should ask her.  I
don't expect that horse to ever APPEAR obviously round though...

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]