>>think the weakness comes because of the pain. (In my case anyways.)

for me..my hand is just plain shot. in '91 i shattered all the carpal
bones, tore the ligaments and tendons.  in '95, the took bones from my
hip to rebuild my hand. i have arthritics in it. they want to do one
more surgery, where they will insert a metal plate to help make it
more stable and hopefully help with the pain. but, i have been putting
that off. cuz it means one year no riding/horse chores.

>>have heard there is some kind of implant that can be done

you'll have to share what you learn!! raven <;]