>>> I have learned over the years to let new horses have a couple of weeks to
>>> settle in.  The father they travel, the more break they get.

Not only the further they travel, but also the number of times the horse has
been passed around from owner to owner seems to make a difference in how
quickly they settle down.  And some horses are simply worriers, and need more
time to relax, no matter what.

>>>That said, I followed a nice MFT mare for most of 30 miles at an endurance
>>>ride a week or so ago.  ... She was way smoother than my TWH.  Our friend's
>>>Icelandic is smoother than my TWH.  Gosh, I don't know.  Could  be a freight
>>>train would be smoother than my TWH.

And there was a pacey MFT at a clinic I attended a couple of years ago.   There
are nicely gaited horses in any breed, and some bad examples too.   Thank
goodness that gaits aren't the only trait that gives a horse value...