On 31/07/07, sarah gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But while on the topic of first impressions to someone getting to know
> the breed I was really turned off by the tons and tons of pictures and
> videos out there that promote the (for lack of a better word) "show"
> tolt. My husband was really horrified by the riding to be honest. He
> kept saying "Why are they riding like that? Why is that horses neck
> and chest so over built?"

Yes, I've had a few private discussions about that.  I feel I'm always
placed in a position of having to defend the breed when someone
outside the Icelandic world wants to discuss the horses and their
gaits.  Especially if their only exposure has been the 'show' world.

No...you don't have to ride that way,  if your horse is naturally
gaited...that gait will come bubbling out as the horse gains
condition.

Wanda