>On 31/07/07, Lorraine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I love Dagur but he has one fault. He is so barn
> sour. It is a battle to ride him from the corral. I
> have never had that problem before.

I've worked with several barn sour horses.  I'm working with the most barn sour
horse ever now!  Star(Paso Fino)lived in one place with another horse for 10
years and was always ridden in the same place and when ridden always followed
this other horse. The first time I made the mistake of riding her away from our
other horses (still in sight), she spun and reared several times! Even when I
walked her 50 feet from her friends in the pasture and Star's eyes start
bulging out, she starts sweating, and running all over you.  She wouldn't even
let the farrier work on her in the barn with the other horses standing right
outside. I tried taking her on a walk in the empty pasture next to the horses,
but as soon as she's gone a certain distance away she comes unglued!

I started over doing some Parelli/clicker training ground work with her in the
horse pasture and then in the arena to get her a little more responsive. She
seems to be familiar with and ok about being in the arena, and is actually
well-trained-turning, stopping, backing, smooth gaited etc. there.  Even my
boss's grandchildren can easily ride her in the arena!  After the initial
groundwork, I took her on SHORT walks out and then back to her friends. She was
too upset to look for treats or graze, she just neighed and neighed and ran
around me in circles. After we did many short out and backs we started treating
on the way out.  If she started getting nervous, we do not turn around and go
back, but stand there until she settles a bit, she gets a click and treat and
then we go back a short way until she's comfortable again and then we go out a
little farther and back a few times treating on the way out. I sometimes treat
on the way back if she walks slowly and stops when I ask her to (more likely
now than originally).  We also stop a lot for grazing, but in the beginning she
was so scared, she wouldn't graze!  When we get back near the horses I have her
do some light work, backing, circle game, moving away from light
pressure...when we are farther away we just walk, or graze, or stand. She's
doing better, we're going farther each time and she's not happy about leaving
but not completely hysterical.

Cherie