the first injury was caused by saddlepad too, but I always say it is a
saddlefit injury.  because he was being ridden in a tucker saddle that
left white marks below the withers and each spring they would shed out
so i knew it was hurting him.  I took him to a person who sold tucker
saddles and showed it to her.  She took some measurements and said
well, see?  there's your problem.  he is a normal size tree everywhere
but at the shoulders where he is wide tree size.  But if you get a
wide tree it will sit right down on the withers and rub him there.  So
she suggested I buy a wide tree tucker and pad it behind the withers.
to lift it off the withers but still allow shoulder room.  (I have
since been told the problem is that tuckers do not have any "flare"
allowing for shoulder room).  so then she suggested I take a saddle
pad and fold it and lay it across the dip behind his withers to fill
it in and that would help his problem until i could afford to buy a
wide tree tucker saddle.  sooo.  I did that and voila, he's injured
for freakin life.  not that I'm bitter :)  actually things could be
much worse.  The fistula could have opened and he could have died or
had to be put down, the injury could be in a place where theres no way
to avoid pressure and rubbing and he could be unridable, but its ok as
long as he has total spine clearance.  I am very very lucky and
blessed i can still ride him.

I cannot ride him in a treeless because there is no spine clearance
but I am gonna try him saturday on a short ride in my hybrid sensation
and medi cheval and see how the sweat patterns look.  we are gonna
ride in a brief 15 minute parade at a stop and start walk.

basically i feel bad because i was a person who rode so hard and so
often i really needed three horses instead of just my Jas.  I almost
rode him to death.  I rode him on the average 300 miles a week, much
of it very rough and rugged terrain.
janice--
yipie tie yie yo